Local fires quickly contained, police investigating Camp Reserve shed fire

Local fire crews attended a call out to a home in Chapmans Road, Castlemaine last Sunday morning after a bathroom heat lamp caught alight.
Castlemaine CFA captain Terry Franklin said the fire burnt up into the roof cavity and melted plastic water hoses which actually put the fire out.
“Melting plastic fell onto a plastic chair below and started a second fire but this was quickly extinguished by the quick thinking elderly resident,” he said.
“While there was some damage to the home fortunately the woman was unharmed,” he said.
This followed a call out to the Camp Reserve last Wednesday night after a fire started in the old heritage listed chook sheds at the rear of the facility.
During the mop up crews discovered an e-bike which had been stolen from the Castlemaine Railway Station earlier in the day. Police are investigating the fire which is believed to have been deliberately lit.
Anyone with information is urged to call Castlemaine Police.

Lisa Dennis
Editor of the Castlemaine Mail newspaper and senior journalist on our sister paper the Midland Express. Over the last 24 years Lisa been proudly reporting news in the Mount Alexander and Macedon Ranges communities.